Saturday, November 29, 2008

#3 What do mission organizations do for these people?




What mission organizations do for tribesman or uncivilized people really depends on the small fire of motivation in their hearts. While looking for the “cultural key” some missionaries tend to digress into different paths while some firmly stand to serve and glorify the Lord.

“It’s true that we [missionaries] destroy certain things in cultures, just as doctors sometimes must destroy certain things in a human body if a patient is to live.”
I don’t think missionaries have right to “destroy things in cultures” however, they have right to offer
different options for people. I believe that missionaries are not terminators but messengers of God to share the gospel. From the bible studies I’ve had, I never read a single section in the Bible where it said people were to destroy certain things in cultures. Thus, mission organization may decide to change one whole culture or rightfully show a new path to primitives depending on what their motives are.

“We [missionaries] are out to destroy cannibalism...”
I personally think “destroying cannibalism” is disrespecting primitive’s culture. Like Koreans have their own culture so does primitives. I surely do think that cannibalism is disgusting and inhumane thing to do however, when people have been exposed to such culture from centuries ago, it is like their birthmark. I believe that true Christians should approach tribesman in a cordial manner and simply introduce them that there is such religion.

Don Richardson surely has right to speak of his own views however, he wrote the article in an extreme perspective that he created a negative image of Christianity. I believe that the word “destroy” doesn’t apply to any segment of missionary’s job. One’s motivation may suggest destruction but I believe missionary’s motivation is to spread the gospel through a peaceful communication.



*The quotes are taken from an article called "Do Missionaries Destroy Cultures?" by Don Richardson.


Citation



6 comments:

Pritha said...

Jean, I think your writing is so powerful because you are not afraid to state what you want to. Your blogs inspire me to speak out. I totally agree with you on this, " he wrote the article in an extreme perspective that he created a negative image of Christianity." I think that the more one tries to be bias the more they will repel readers. Thanks for sharing. Your blog definitely stands out.
-Pritha.

D@n!kA said...

"Don Richardson surely has right to speak of his own views however, he wrote the article in an extreme perspective that he created a negative image of Christianity." I agree with you on this point. I really like reading your blog because you write well. :)

jinhong.kim said...

Awesome post. I agree with you in many ways that they do not have the right to destroy but only to introduce. But how do you introduce a belief without enforcing? If you are going to introduce Christianity, are you not also introducing the cons of cannibalism? I guess you can just put it out there and let the tribesmen decide. But I think God wants them to do more. Spread Christianity. I think that is the missionaries motives because they want to save people from going to hell. You see things from a different perspective and it clearly shows in your writing. Good work!

Lucia Jeong said...

Thoughtful post! I agree with you that new religion should not be forced into another culture. I belive missionaries should give the opportunity for the people to belive in Christianity instead of first making attempts to enfore them. Your comment that we should repspect the cannibalistic culture of the primitives is also quite thoughtful. Thanks for sharing =)

brian said...

Interesting post =) When I looked at the question, I viewed the missionaries as in all missionaries out there, with the ones that aren't Christian. I have encountered some that aren't Christian missionaries and they are dumb and they talked about rubbish. I was amazed at how detailedly you discussed about what missionaries do to cultures and their intentions =) I look forward to reading your other posts as well.

African Globe Trotters. said...

I cannot respect someone, who does not uphold the sanctity of life. Cannibalism is WRONG no matter how cultural it may seem - this is a ruse to persuade tribesmen to go against their natures. The fact that tribes people are pressured into taking part in this ritual, proves that they know its wrong. "Keriyup" means squimish - reviled by this act of eating flesh...how can we respect evil and sin? Mrs.Mc.