Monday, December 1, 2008

#5 What concepts in the Sawi culture intrigued / reviled / saddened / angered / surprised you?



One becomes a legend maker by planning a treachery. How ridiculous can Sawi get when one is known for his great betrayal towards his relatives? I know I should respect Sawi’s culture, but from the country I come from, betrayal is not the solution to anything in any case. I wonder how cold one’s heart has to be in order to plan such inexplicably brilliant but malicious trap. Kani can be called as a “leader,” however having his own tribe man, Mahaen, to betray his relatives in another tribe are unrighteous. It is unacceptable in Miss Jean’s world.


“…feasted royally on the flesh of the four victims” (Richardson 38). I have always heard of cannibalism from television, books, and friends, but I never believed in it. After reading Peace Child and noticing that Peace Child is based on a true story, I was stunned and sad at the same time. The humans have always eaten pork, beef, chicken, and etcetera without having to think about them. It is right for us to eat animal meat in general. However, can one possibly eat human flesh? It is against our own nature to eat human. Our body rejects it causing serious vomiting or other symptoms that cause sickness. Then, why must Sawi’s “feast royally on the flesh of the four victims?” It’s the culture. I know that cannibalism is a part of Sawi’s culture but honestly when I place myself in Sawi’s society, I just can’t imagine eating human flesh. It’s disgusting! It is unacceptable in Miss Jean’s world.
Pictures:

3 comments:

D@n!kA said...

I agree with the anti cannibalism and betrayal points that you made. I really liked the way you put "in Miss Jean’s world." its really original. I felt bad when I saw that your post was much shorter than it normally is because I was looking forward to reading much more...

African Globe Trotters. said...

Your post really hits home about how we really all create our own culture. So keeping our culture for the sake of it is wrong. That's why the Sawi were willing to change - they knew cannibalism is wrong! Mrs.Mc.

Jin Yoo said...

For me too, the whole cannibalism thing was very gruesome and unpleasant to read about. No matter how hard I try to understand, it's beyond my capacity I think...maybe pity is what we should feel? However I'm glad that God was able to free many of the Sawi away from their ritualistic manners.

luv~
Jin