Friday, December 19, 2008

#9 Choose a representative passage from this novel that holds particular significance to you. Type it in and comment on its significance.

“Peace, however, requires assurance of sincere good will on both sides” (Richardson 161).

This quote reminded me of a “war” I had with a close friend of mine. Here is a peace I made with my dearest friend.

I once had a quiet fight with my friend. My friend told me she was angry at me but I didn’t know why. I took it as a joke and didn’t think serious of it. I was scared to ask and I simply ignored her feelings. I thought everything would get better tomorrow. Unfortunately, tomorrow didn’t solve anything. My friend didn’t talk to me or even say hello. I had no right to be angry at her but somehow I was angry at her too. My attitude was “If you are going to be that way so will I.” It was selfish of me. Now that I look back, I think I was scared to admit what I had done wrong. From then on there began an internal war between me and my friend. No smile. No talk. No expression. For about a month, we were basically strangers to each other. However, eventually, we ended up face to face in a coffee shop. We both felt it wasn’t right for us to shut our mouths and keep the angry fire growing in our hearts. My friend told me she was angry at me for not having more friend to friend time with her. I was walking away from her and I wasn’t being her friend at all. All she said was true. I was trying to focus on my studies and limit my leisure time. I was careless of my friend’s feelings and I was not worthy as a friend. In the coffee shop, we didn’t have a “peace child” but simply a peace talk. We shared our honest opinion about each other and we had no secrets. Once we spilled everything, there was a sudden tranquility in the atmosphere. We were at ease. So it seems “peace…requires assurance of sincere good will on both sides.”

Picture
http://www.funnyfur.com/ProductImages/littlelily/lilycharms/BestFriendPink.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Friendship_love_and_truth.jpg

3 comments:

James Song said...

Great example from your personal life.. And i am glad to hear that you and your freind were able to shrugg off bad feelings.

Christina Lee said...

I'm sure your friend was glad to have that talk with you. You guys probably needed that to understand each other even more deeply. Peace may be defined in various ways; it could be grand with great commitments, or it could be simple, but profound just like the peace you and your friend have shared. The best post I've ever read :)

African Globe Trotters. said...

Jean, you have made a valid connection to your personal life, and I am so glad to see you helping others to apply what we are learning in such a profound way. Sometimes God uses us to help others and we don't even realise it! Keep writing. Mrs.Mc.