Friday, December 19, 2008

#8 What reflections and connections can you make with this novel?

In Peace Child, the primitives had a radical change in their life where they were introduced to a new culture and had a new focus in their life. The Sawi tribesmen had a life of violence and cannibalism where their life was about more power. The word “peace” was never to be found among the tribes. However, when Don Richardson and his wife, Carol, came, Sawi openly accepted them into their village. The tribes became so close to Richardson that when he said he was going to leave due to cantankerous quarrel between them, they were able to sacrifice their children’s lives to make peace. Gradually, the Sawi made an open relationship with God and even though they weren’t perfect Christians, they slowly changed their life style and focus to be on God.
When I compare myself to the novel, I think I’m like the primitives except for a few changes. Like the primitives, I’m very opened to new cultures. I enjoy the process of going to new places and getting to know new cultures. I simply think of new things as a new word I find in the
dictionary. If I like the word I make sure I own that word while if I don’t like the word I let it go. When I first came to Taejon Christian International School, I felt like a primitive and thought of the school as Richardson and his wife. I was very opened to school’s belief and I was cool with it like the primitives. I found no reason to build hatred or dislike towards Christianity. I didn’t have a radical transformation like the Sawi did. I was convinced at times about what great things happen when one has faith in God but I came back to the same position. Observing different religion like Christianity and Buddhism, I simply decided to believe in nothing. I decided to be the balance between Buddhism and Christianity. This doesn’t mean I believe in nothingness but I’m just staying neutral for now.

Pictures
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/pd_balance_scale_071016_ms.jpg
http://www.11thlib.com/11th_graphics/peace-child.gif

1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

You are open to new learning situations and this is what I most admire about you. Do you think that remaining neutral is not making a choice? I'd love to chat with you about this thought... Mrs.Mc.